• Kim Deppen RN BS
    School Nurse MVVS
    603.673.5141 ext. 3504

    Fax 603.672.1924





    Health Office FAQs

    What if my child is going to be absent or tardy? Parents are asked to notify the school (673-5141 x 3504) each day their child is going to be absent. You may call the school prior to 8:00 AM and leave a message on the answering machine with the student’s name, teacher’s name, grade and reason for absence. The school will call parents/guardians of all absent students if we have not been notified by 9:15 AM. Please help by calling us first.


    What is the school policy/practice in regards to holiday parties and birthday celebrations? In support of the SAU 39 Wellness Policy, Mont Vernon Village School continues to abide by the following practice related to the Wellness Plan. All classroom parties will be planned by the classroom teacher and room parent

    Suggested list for classroom parties includes: 

    (Parents may sign up for items when posted by their room parent/parents)

    Fresh fruit

    Vegetables & Healthy dip

    Cheese & Crackers


    100% Juice or Water

    Paper products (Napkins, plates, plastic ware, cups)


    *ONLY one food item that does not meet recommended nutrition standards. (Examples: cookies, cupcakes, browniesice cream)

    *In recognizing the large number of children and adults with peanut/tree nut, food allergies, strict guidelines must be followed for the safety of all students and individual.  If there is an allergy in the classroomNO HOMEMADE GOODS ARE PERMITITTED, DUE TO THE CHANCE OF CROSS CONTAMINATION.

    All prepackaged food brought in to be shared, must be accompanied with the original, ingredient and nutritional label.  These labels and food items must be brought to the Main Office for review, due to the fact that a product’s ingredient list may have been free of a specific allergen the last time you purchased it, but manufacturers can change ingredients at any time without warning.  All snacks that contain peanuts, and tree nuts and their derivatives are unsafe.  Product labels stating “may contain traces of peanuts or tree nuts” or “processed in a plant that processes peanuts or tree nuts” are considered unsafe as well. 

    * In regards to students birthdays. NO cakes, cupcakes, cookies, brownies, muffins, candy, ice cream, etc. is permitted. If you bring in a treat it must be a healthy choice, as fruit, cheese crackers, vegetable, 100% fruit pops, or a small token, pencil, eraser, etc.  We have seen some amazing creativity in regards to the Wellness Policy, and we thank you for your continued attention and support.   

    My child needs medication while at school. What is the policy for this? 
    If it is necessary that your child take medicine while at school a written physician's order and parent release form must be submitted for both prescription and over the counter medication. The order must state the name of the medication, the dosage, time and reason for the medication.  All medications must be brought to the school by an adult.  Medications must be in the original packaging.

    Does my child’s physician order and medication need to be renewed every school year? 
    Yes, physician's orders for medication must be renewed yearly.  All medications kept in the nurse’s office must be picked up at the end of the school year by an adult otherwise they will be discarded.

    What is the school's policy regarding not participating in PE? 
    District policy states that a child well enough to attend school is well enough to participate in all activities. However, there are times when children with specific serious or chronic health conditions may need a program adjustment. We will try to accommodate your child's needs whenever possible. Please notify the nurse if your child has had a recent injury, serious illness, or surgery which may require activity restrictions. Parents need to provide the school with a note from the attending physician describing the type of restriction and its duration. Parents are asked to provide a follow-up note from the attending physician after the initial phase has expired.

    Can my child carry their own inhaler or epi-pen?
    Yes, as long as the school nurse has on file a written physicians’ order and parent release for the medication. It must say that the child may hand carry and self-administer.

    My child is not feeling well.  When should I keep him/her home from school? 
    If the child has any of the following symptoms, they must stay home until symptoms have resolved for at least 24hours without the use of medication:

    • Fever of 100 or greater
    • Diarrhea or vomiting
    • A persistent cough that is disruptive to the class
    • An unfamiliar rash/rash of unknown origin     

    My child has head lice; does she/he need to be excluded from school? 
    Yes, until initial treatment has been done and all live lice are removed they must remain home.  Continue to check daily for 2-3 weeks for nits or re-infestation.  Please call the school nurse to inform her/him that your child has head lice.  This information will remain private and she/he can help you to resolve this issue.

    May my child participate in after school sponsored programs or extra-curricular activities if they did not attend school that day?  A child must be in attendance for at least ½ a day of school in order to participate in after school activities. If a child has been sent home from school for health reasons, than he/she will not be eligible to participate in that afternoon or evening activity.

    What immunizations does my child need to have? 

                          New Hampshire School Immunization Requirements 2017/2018


     1. New Hampshire School Immunization Requirements 2017-2018


     2.  Medical and religious exemption information is available at: http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dphs/immunization/exemptions.htm