Thinking about private school?
Occasionally, students in the 8th grade begin to think about their high school education and inquire about public versus private school. If you are looking into options other than Souhegan High School, we ask that you investigate Souhegan High School first. Souhegan is a progressive, research-based high school designed around the principles of the Coalition of Essential Schools. It stresses personalization, exhibitions of learning, democratic principles, student as worker, and depth of learning over breadth. Please contact the Director of Guidance at SHS to get first-hand information for your decision process. We are very proud of our excellent high school!
If you decide to investigate private schools, selecting one that best meets the needs of your child is a time-intensive process that is many faceted. First is the research phase. Next, there are admission tests to take, Open Houses to attend, application forms to fill out and return, and teacher recommendations and school records to submit. Finally, there is the interview.
Students applying to private schools need to
- Bring teacher recommendation forms and transfer release forms to Mrs. Daigneau in the main office. She is in charge of coordinating the private school application process. Mrs. Daigneau will distribute recommendation forms to teachers, and gather and mail application information to schools. DO NOT SEND PAPERWORK DIRECTLY TO TEACHERS.
- Please get application materials, including signed record release forms, to Mrs. Daigneau as early as possible in the fall to insure applications are send to private schools in a timely manner that meets deadlines. Most private school deadlines are in January/early February.
- Please allow 3 weeks for teachers to fill out recommendations.
- Students need to see their grade-level counselors to obtain a Student Information Sheet to fill out as part of the application process.
- You do not need to put postage on any envelopes, as AMS will send one big packet out to the school(s), rather than individual envelopes that the schools provide.
- Release of Records form: Please print and fill this out to have school transcripts released from AMS to the private school you will be attending, at the end of the school year. Click here.
Parents who are sending in private school applications: You must fill out all the personal information on the record release forms and the recommendation forms before we can give them to teachers. Please do not send in blank forms.
For the 2016-17 school year:
Grade 8 students should see Mrs. Dionne
Grade 7 students should see Mrs. Kim
Grade 6 students should see Mr. Farina
Grade 5 students should see their team counselor
Please feel free to contact the school or your child’s counselor for assistance in this process.